Friday, October 18, 2013

So, evidently I am not a very good blogger. It has been a LOOOONG time since I have posted.  I just don't have a lot of spare time these days. When I do have time, I am usually looking at other people's ideas on Pinterest!

I love it when ideas pop in my head actually works! We have been working on "the missing number" and "what comes next". Like every other kindergarten class, the range of number sense varies from learning one-to-one to could do calculus. :) We have been having a good ole time building numbers using cubes and writing the numerals to match. This has become a game of speed and accuracy. It did not take long for it to become BORING for many of my students. So, I asked myself the following questions:

How can I engage all of my students considering all their levels and abilities?
How will they SEE and understand a missing number in a hands on sort of way?
How can I motivate them to STAY engaged long enough to practice the skills?

Here is what we did.

Build numbers 1 to 10 using cubes.
Mix them all up.
Put them back in order as fast as you can. 
Make sure the "cube towers" are growing by 1.
Find a partner to count your cube towers.
Tell your partner to close their eyes.
"Steal" and hide a tower behind your back.
Ask your partner to look at the cube towers and determine which tower is missing.


They had SO MUCH FUN! I LOVE it when that happens!
They were practicing counting, one to one, ordering numbers, greater/lesser concepts, and determining the missing number.

On another note, of the ELA variety...I am so proud of my kindergarteners' writing this week! They are all writing stories, stretching words, and playing with sounds. I can't wait to brag about them to their parents at open house next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment